The Summer holiday season is nearly upon us and with it comes the reality that soon we can no longer hide beneath a multitude of layers and our skin will be kissed by the sun . All will be out in the open and our wobbly bits will be on display. I’m not going to spend time talking about “how to get beach body ready” we all know the recipe for that (take one body, go to the beach and voila- one beach body!). Instead I have rounded up the hottest swimwear trends and the best part, these swimwear styles flatter all body types. Keep reading to discover the biggest trends in swimwear and how they will flatter your body type.
For too long we have had to endure inappropriately placed cutouts, unflattering silhouettes and fabrics that work against us. Finally, 2017 sees swimwear trends become wearable again. Hurrah! The struggle is over.
This may come as a shock but white swimsuits are exceptionally body flattering. This season extra style points will be awarded to those wearing the one shouldered variety.
White swimsuits rock because…
- The bright suit makes even the palest individual appear beautifully sun kissed. Tanned skin looks toned, so why spend hours Namaslaying in tree pose when you can just chuck on a white swimming costume and be done.
- The uniform tone makes the body appear flat, disguising lumps and bumps, this also helps minimise a large bust. The ruffle top or halter neck versions are great for adding volume to the bust or creating a cleavage respectively.
- White screams confidence. Have you heard of adopting a superhero stance as a technique for feeling more confident? (If not click here). Well, white swimwear is the poolside equivalent. If you embody confidence, you will project that very vibe- and only the very best beach bodies are confident in swimwear….right?
- Many white swimsuits have a high cut leg, this creates an illusion of length and who doesn’t want long legs?
Itsy bitsy, teeny weeny, yellow polka dot bikini:
Well kind of, Polka Dots are definitely a thing. Yellow is too as I discussed in my recent post The Spring Trend Edit. Less of the “itsy bitsy, teeny weeny” part. Polka dot swimwear is body flattering like no other. This season brownie points will go to poolside fashionistas who wear this style off the shoulder or with ruffles.
Polka Dots rock because….
- They are the perfect print to embody 50s pin-up vibes. The print is timeless.
- The print is busy enough to smooth any lumps or bumps, smoothing the silhouette.
- They look fabulous paired with gingham and straw poolside accessories.
- The pattern creates an illusion of a small waist as it draws the eye in. This print is magical at creating curves or accentuating them in just the right places.
Go High or Go Home:
The one piece is really having a moment this season, but if you still love a bikini then high-waisted is the way to wear it. For added wow factor wear with a bandeau top or like the white swimsuits and polka dots above, one shoulders, Bardot style and ruffles are bang on trend. High-waisted styles are flattering for all body types.
High-waisted bikinis rock because…
- They elongate the torso. This makes the wearer appear taller.
- You can go retro and mix and match the tops/bottoms. This gives you more variety for less packing.
- The bikini bottoms tend to offer “tummy control” (and back support, at this point in my life I need a lot of both!!!).
- The bikini bottoms often have a low leg and so feel more conservative than conventional bikinis.
There you have it, the top three styles of swimwear to flatter all body types. Now let’s all make like Kate Beckinsale, shun the coverup, throw on some flatforms and make the beach our b*tch.
Shop the Blog:
All White: CK logo suit, J Crew shoulder tie swimsuit, Kiini Crochet Trim suit, New look Crochet Swimsuit, Por Moi with Mesh Accents, Motel at Topshop Angel Swimsuit, Calvin Klein Intense Power Swimsuit, Eres Plunging Halter, La Sirenuse White swimsuit, Melissa Odabash One Shoulder Swimsuit.